January 30, 2009

$4500 bid on that $7200 sofa

NYTimes reports of haggling at ultra-high end furniture stores in lower Manhattan:
The sofa was made in the Netherlands, I was told. The designer, Bjorn Mulder, is a big shot in Europe, I was told. The price was $6,447, I was told — at which point I asked the obvious question: is the sofa part of the avalanche?

The saleswoman, tall, slim, a little hungry in the eyes, said it was not, but that she could give me the same 20 percent “to the trade” discount that she extends to decorators and architects. That brought the price to $5,158 before tax. At this point, I took a breath and steeled myself for something I had never tried before, or even thought to try, in a high-end furniture store: haggling.

There has been a lot of talk in the last year about shoppers taking advantage of the economic climate by bargaining with retailers, mostly on volume merchandise like TVs or mattresses. But Manhattan’s sanctums of new and vintage modern design were a different matter, it seemed to me. I’d always liked what they sold, but I found the gallery-like stillness of the showrooms intimidating, and the prices were generally too high for me. Until now, anyway, the idea of challenging those prices would have struck me as absurd.

But these days, the thinking goes that it’s a buyer’s market for anyone looking to buy anything. And, as it happens, I’m currently in the market for everything, having just moved into a new apartment where the sum total of my décor is two card tables and an old leather recliner. I may not be a regular customer of the design boutiques of SoHo and TriBeCa, but if there is ever going to be a time for me to furnish my home in high style, this would seem to be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment